Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Chip Ingram on Depression




“Depression is as old as human history. The Bible has many
examples of people struggling with despondency and despair. In his
depression and fatigue, Elijah asked for his life to be taken. Jonah
felt deeply despondent after God did not destroy Nineveh. Jeremiah
regretted the day he was born. Job’s wife advised him to curse God
and die in the midst of the suffering and pain. Well-known church
leaders like Martin Luther, John Bunyan, Charles Haddon Spurgeon,
and J.B. Phillips struggled with depression and so did political leaders
such as Winston Churchill and Abraham Lincoln.

Depression is no respecter of persons. It has been called the
common cold of emotional disorders, and it appears to be on the rise.
In the United States it is one of the most prevalent and serious
mental disorders, affecting about 20 percent of the population at
some time in their lives. People of both genders get depressed,
although women are twice as likely as men to suffer from major
depressive and dysthymic disorders.”

I cried out to God for help; I cried out to God to hear me. 2When I was
in distress, I sought the Lord; at night I stretched out untiring hands and my soul refused to be comforted. 3I remembered you, O God, and I groaned; I mused, and my spirit grew faint.
Selah

You kept my eyes from closing; I was too troubled to speak. 5I thought about the former days, the years of long ago; 6I remembered my songs in the night. My heart mused and my spirit inquired: 7"Will the Lord reject forever? Will
he never show his favor again? 8Has his unfailing love vanished forever? Has his promise failed for all time? 9Has God forgotten to be merciful? Has he in anger withheld his compassion?"
Selah Psalm 77

No comments: