Monday, September 21, 2009

Sproul on Predestination



What is predestination? - R. C. Sproul

When the Bible speaks of predestination, it speaks of God's sovereign involvement in certain things before they happen. He chooses in advance certain things to take place. For example, he predestined creation. Before God created the world, he decided to do it.

Usually when people think of predestination, they think about whether or not somebody was hit by an automobile on a given day because God had decided ahead of time that that should happen on that day.

Theologically, the principal issue of predestination in the Bible has to do with God selecting people for salvation beforehand. The Bible clearly does teach that somehow God chooses people for salvation before they're even born. Virtually every Christian church believes that, because this concept is so clearly taught in Scripture.

Paul refers to Jacob and Esau. Before they were even born, before they had done any good or evil, God decreed in advance that the elder would serve the younger: "Jacob have I loved; Esau have I hated." The point there is that God had chosen certain benefits for one of those two before they were even born.

The real debate is, On what basis does God predestine? We know that he predestines, but why does he predestine, and what is the basis for his choices? Many Christians believe that God knows in advance what people are going to do, what choices they're going to make, and what activities they're going to be involved in. As he looks through the corridor of time and knows what choices you will make, for example, he knows that you will hear the gospel. He knows whether you will say yes or no. If he knows that you are going to say yes, then he chooses you for salvation on the basis of his prior knowledge. I don't hold that position. I think that God does this sovereignly, not arbitrarily, not whimsically. The only basis I see for predestination in the Bible is the good pleasure of his own will. The only other reason is to honor his only begotten Son. The reason for his selection is not in me and not in you and not in some foreseen good or evil, but in his own sovereignty.

What do you think?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I used to hold the view that God's predestination was on the basis of his ability to foresee things...that is his ability to see those who would choose for him in advance gave him the foundation through which He predestined them. I thank Him, however, that He has answered my prayers and showed me that I was in error. I have come to believe that He elects on His own basis. He chooses those He wants and wills to choose. I find no contradiction, and no dilemma with this doctrine. I believe that we all deserve hell. As such, God is totally justified in choosing to save some and leave others to their own choices. There are many parts of that doctrine I do not now understand. But whenever I come across a doctrine that seems hard to swallow, I look to the cross and I find my answer there. Since God was willing to submit His only begotten to such intense pain and agony, surely His predestination has no basis in unfairness even though I might not fully grasp its scope and depth. I am only grateful that I am counted among the elect. I do not resist this doctrine; it is taught in the bible and as such I submit to it. My opinion is of no consequence except to say,"yes, and amen." The true issue is that there are many who find it unfair. I suspect that no one who has been elected questions that doctrine. It is my belief that Grace, when fully understood, shows a condition where, but for that grace, we would all end up in hell. Let's say there is a ship on the ocean full of death row criminals and it is about to sink. Let's say that I happen on the scene and chooses to save some of them and leave the rest to sink to their death, in what ways did I show unfairness? It is not a perfect example, but it is something akin with what, I understand, predestination to be. It all hinges on God's grace, so that no one should boast. It will all makes sense in the end.