Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Fortune Cookie or Osteen by Challies



The other day I ate some rather extraordinary Thai food for lunch and, on my way out, grabbed a fortune cookie. I cracked it open and read a silly little proverb meant to inspire, I suppose. I wish it had said "Brisk uphill walk after all-you-can-eat Thai is a bad idea." Never mind. As I waddled my way home, regretting that last bowl of curry (so delicious...),

I thought "This fortune sounds like something Joel Osteen would say." And then it struck me--there is very little difference between Joel and those fortune cookies (except that the cookies are delicious, of course). And now, to prove it, I will give you these twelve quotes. You tell me which are from the fortune cookies and which are from Joel Osteen.

Question One
"Happiness is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

Question Two
"Do all you can to make your dreams come true."

Question Three
"Take time to make a difference. Think about how you can make somebody else's life better."

Question Four
"Avoid focusing on the negative aspects of the past."

Question Five
"You have something to offer that nobody else can give!"

Question Six
"When you can't naturally feel upbeat, it can sometimes help to act as if you did."

Question Seven
"To affirm is to make firm."

Question Eight
"Relationships are more important than our accomplishments."

Question Nine
"Somebody needs your encouragement. Somebody needs to know that you believe in them."

Question Ten
"The best things in life aren't things."

Question Eleven
"You will produce what you're continually seeing in your mind."

Question Twelve
"Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant."


How did you do?
Answers: Q1=FC, Q2=JO, Q3=JO, Q4=FC, Q5=JO, Q6=FC, Q7=FC, Q8=JO, Q9=JO, Q10=FC, Q11=JO, Q12=FC

No comments: