Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Insecure Leaders Part 5



Steve Jobs on leadership: "Apple is a $30 billion company, yet we’ve got less than 30 major products. I don’t know if that’s ever been done before. Certainly the great consumer electronics companies of the past had thousands of products. We tend to focus much more. People think focus means saying yes to the thing you’ve got to focus on. But that’s not what it means at all. It means saying no to the hundred other good ideas that there are. You have to pick carefully.


(christopher scott)

Insecure Leaders vs. Secure Leaders

There are two types of leaders; insecure leaders and secure leaders.

Insecure leaders always put others down. They say things and act in ways that make others a little bit smaller and not feel good about themselves. Insecure leaders make sure you know and feel that you’re not as smart and important as they are.

Secure leaders always build others up. They say things and act in ways that make others feel better and bigger about themselves. Secure leaders point out that you have more potential than you realize. They always make you feel like you’re a little bigger than you actually are.

You won’t be surprised if I told you the people around insecure leaders actually do less, and the people around secure leaders actually do more.

1 comment:

Tim Marsh said...

Jamie,

Just wanted you to know that I have appreciated your posts on Insecure Leadership. As I examine myself, I see many things I have conquered through God's grace and still things in which I need to improve.

The older I have gotten and the more experience I have in ministry, I have realized that ultimate security is placing the outcomes into the hands of God. Luke 12 has become one of my favorite passages of scripture with regards to leadership and mission.

Thanks for sharing.

I hope all is well with you. God bless!