Thursday, August 14, 2008

Innovative Church Conference







This past Week Mark and I attended the Innovative Church Conference at Thomas Road Baptist Church. This was a wonderful conference, one of the most practical, spiritual and informative Conferences I have ever been to.
Because our Church is partnering in the Liberty Baptist Fellowship Mark and I attended Free.

On Monday night Rick Warren spoke. I have not been a fan of everything Rick has done and said in the past. I am sure I have my critics as well.

Rick is a very humble, gracious, and inspirational person. Rick shared a very good message from 1 John 2:15-18.
He talked about the traps Christians fall into. The lust of the eyes, the pride of life, and the lust of the flesh.

He said when he wrote the Purpose Driven Life no one knew the impact it would have or the success it would become. The Purpose Driven Life has become the best selling hardback book of all time.
Rick said, "This brings alot of fame, money and temptation." He said he knew this was a test.
He said he asked for people to pray that he would have: humility, integrity and generosity.

Today Rick works for free at Saddleback. He has paid the church back all of his salary since he has been Pastor. He drives an 8 yr. old Ford truck and wears a watch from Wal- Mart. He practices reverse tithing. He and his wife tithe 90% of their income and live off of 10%. He still lives in the same house. This is very inspirational to me because as Rick said "I could have a private jet and buy an Island."

With fame comes a bulls eye from the world and Satan. In a day when politicians and preachers are falling by the wayside because of immorality and a lack of integrity I want you to pray for Rick Warren.

Saturday he will interview Sen. Obama and McCain at Saddleback church. He asked all the pastors in attendance to write one question they would like him to ask the Presidential Candidates.

No comments: