Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Heels Visit White House






Some of President Obama's remarks:"Welcome to the White House everybody. And congratulations on bringing Carolina its fifth national championship. More importantly, thanks for salvaging my bracket ... and vindicating me before the entire nation.
"I want to thank Coach Roy Williams, and his wife Wanda, who was extraordinarily gracious and I had a wonderful time visiting with them. What makes Coach Williams one of the great coaches isn't just his extraordinary record, but his dedication to his players. He's just as serious about making these guys men and leaders as he is into making them champions.

"Now, I did have a chance to play ball with this crew just over a year ago when I visited Chapel Hill. I don't know who rubbed off on who - there was just a good vibe going on there - because they are now national champions and I'm president. I remember congratulating Tyler on forgoing the NBA Draft to come back after winning the 2008 National Player of the Year - I think it worked out pretty well for him. So congratulations to you, again, Tyler.

"I know Coach Williams instills the importance of academics into all of these guys, which is why they didn't just plow through the Tournament, they also had the highest graduation rate. What they understood is that being a champion doesn't stop when you step off the court. In fact, they spend a remarkable amount of their time off the court in the service to others. They hold a Special Olympics clinic every year, in which they scrimmage with Special Olympians and teach them basketball skills. Coach Williams has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for North Carolina charities. Every Christmas these guys compete with one another to see how can get the most creative Christmas gifts for underprivileged children who need a little bit of hope. All of this makes the Chapel Hill community stronger, it makes the state of North Carolina stronger, it makes our country stronger and I know this team gets a lot out of it as well.



On this same day, the Dook basketball team met with the mayor of Durham and gave him a signed basketball, which he quickly put on ebay and sold for $5.

1 comment:

Preacher said...

Isn't it shameful to have a picture of Obama on your blog, you should blur his face to protect your reputation.