Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Pastors Physical Health


Pastors and Physical Health

So Pastors how is your physical Health? Really, how is it? This could be a life changing moment for many of us. Our bodies are the Temple of the Holy Spirit and we are to treat our bodies with respect. I often hear Pastors with weight or health issues joke about it. It is no laughing matter. Many Pastors suffer from stress, depression, low self-esteem and the list goes on an on. Much of this could be managed and maybe even done away with by a simple diet plan and daily exercise program.

As I stated before I have a problem with eating. I love to eat. I love sweets, potato chips, Diet Sun Drop, Hot Fudge Cake. Etc. And I used to gorge every chance I got. I didn’t think it was a big deal because I never really gained a lot of weight. It was still sin. I was committing sin and laughing about it. Make jokes about it. I then did a study in Titus. Paul said, “One of the Cretans, a prophet of their own, said, "Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons."

So I did a study on “lazy gluttons”. I was one to a point. I was deeply convicted about my health and my testimony before our congregation. I realized I was an ambassador for Christ in the Church and the Community. I decided to make a change. I decided I would not just preach on self-control but would put it into practice.

Everyday except Sundays I get up at 4 am and do an exercise program. Every day.
I live on a diet plan or an "eat healthier plan". Every day. I have cheat days but I am still determined not to “be a glutton”. Being a glutton is hard to define so let the Holy Spirit be your guide. I try to give my body one hour a day and give Jesus, East Taylorsville Baptist Church and my Family the rest. It has been a life changer for me mentally, spiritually and personally.

Pastors being a Pastor is hard enough. At ETBC we have right at 1,700 members. I can’t be a “lazy glutton” and lead this flock. I must set the example and with God’s help I am. What about you?

So here is what I suggest for all Pastors:
1) Get your butt out of bed early- stop sleepin in.
2) Get off your butt- walk, jog, do jumping jacks, push ups,,, etc.. (I say this because much of our time is spent in study and travel visiting… get off your butt)
3) Stop making excuses. Be A MAN!!!
4) Realize the difference it will make in your health- some people and many Pastors will put their families thru some difficult days because of their health, that could be avoided. Unwanted Dr and hospital stays. Health complications. Many of us if we don’t change will put our families thru hard times because we are “lazy gluttons”. I visit people quite often whose last days are extremely hard because they would not take care of their health. The family suffers.

So Pastors, do something about it! Decide, commit, succeed.

No comments: